If you’ve ever wished you had someone who would summarize an article or an entire pile of documents for you, artificial intelligence (AI) may come to your rescue.
AI might make reading through hundreds of pages to extract the most crucial information or find one detail you need a thing of the past. AI PDF summarizers do this tedious and lengthy job for you, allowing you to devote your time to more important tasks.
Here are the 10 best AI PDF summarizers to mitigate your daily struggles.
List of the 10 Best AI PDF Summarizers
- HIX.AI – Best AI PDF Summarizer Overall
- Intellippt – Best AI PDF Summarizer for Presenters
- UPDF – Best PDF Summarizer That Has a Converter
- ChatPDF – Best AI PDF Summarizer With Questions
- Summarizing Tool – Best Free Article Summarizer
- PDFgear Chatbot – Best Free PDF Summary Maker for Windows, MacOS, and iOS
- Summarizer.org – Best Paper Summarizer That Retains the Original Meaning
- My Assignment Help – Best AI Summarizer for Texts From Various Sources
- Scholarcy – Best AI Summarizer for Students
- ChatGPT – Best AI Summarizer That Uses External Sources of Information
HIX.AI – Best AI PDF Summarizer Overall
If you’ve ever searched for AI summarizers, chances are that you’ve come across the HIX.AI PDF Summarizer. That’s for a good reason. HIX.AI is a powerful, all-in-one AI writing copilot that also summarizes your texts.
Besides PDFs, you can upload files in DOC, DOCX, and TXT formats. After the AI tool outputs the text, you can use HIX.AI’s chat feature to chat with the file, just like you would with a human.
In addition to summarizing texts, it can also summarize videos. You just need to paste the link to the YouTube video you want summarized, and you’re done. HIX.AI will create a summary in a paragraph or in bullet points for easier reading.
Four separate apps are available within HIX.AI, each with its own pricing models:
- HIX AI Writer's Free plan includes 300 words (GPT-3.5) per week at no cost, while the Pro plan starts at $4.99 per month if billed annually.
- ArticleGPT's Free plan allows for 1 article (GPT-3.5) per month for free, and the Pro plan commences at $4.99 per month if billed yearly.
- The Free plan for HIX.AI Browser Extension offers 1000 words (GPT-3.5) per week at no charge, while the Pro plan starts at $4.99 per month if billed annually.
- HIX Bypass provides a 300-word free trial and a Pro plan that starts at $4.99 per month if billed annually.
- Has a variety of AI writing tools
- Has a Chrome extension
- Summarizes texts and videos
- Allows chatting with documents, including PDFs
- Works only online
IntelliPPT – Best AI PDF Summarizer for Presenters
IntelliPPT is the best website that summarizes articles for presenters. It can summarize files in both PDF and DOCX formats. To save extra time, it automatically converts your summaries into presentable PPTs. That way, you can immediately take it to your meeting or school presentation.
IntelliPPT is an excellent AI PDF summarizer for academic reports, work emails, articles, research reports, and technical papers. But the best part of it all is that it has a free plan.
- Free Plan (below 3,000 character summarization; free 100 AI summarization; upload files of up to 1 MB)
- Premium Plan: $5/month (up to 50,000 characters summarization; up to 3,000 characters AI summarization; unlimited AI summarization; upload files of up to 5 MB; convert to PPT)
- Summarizes text, PDF, and DOCX formats
- Transforms summaries into PPT
- The free plan only summarizes 3,000 characters
- Only converts summaries into PPT
UPDF – Best PDF Summarizer That Has a Converter
UPDF is an AI summarizer that works on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. After summarizing a PDF, you can edit it by changing the font, style, and color.
UPDF also allows you to convert your summary into PPT, Excel, Image, HTML, etc., and annotate it by adding comments, highlights, sticky notes, signatures, and more. UPDF’s OCR technology also enables the summarizing of scanned PDFs in 38 languages.
- Free Trial (1 GB, 10 MB maximum per file; one account can be used for two desktops and two mobile phones)
- Individual Yearly Plan: $25.99/year
- Individual Perpetual Plan: $43.99/Perpetual (one-time fee, yearly access)
- Individual Add-on: $45/year or $5/month
- Enterprise Perpetual Plan: $89.00 (one-time fee, lifetime access)
- Educational Individual Plan: $22.99/year or $35.99/perpetual
- Enterprise Perpetual Plan for Schools and Educators: $69.00
- Educational Add-on: $39.00/year or $4.00/month
- Works on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
- Includes OCR technology for summarizing scanned PDFs
- Converts summaries into PPT, images, HTML, Excel, etc.
- Annotates summaries
- Translates summaries
- Only summarizes PDFs and scanned PDFs
- No free plan
ChatPDF – Best AI PDF Summarizer With Questions
Powered by GPT-3.5, ChatPDF is an online summarizer tool you can access regardless of whether you’re on your desktop or mobile device. If you need a quick summary of a short article, this summary website is ideal.
You can upload or drag and drop your file into the empty field and let AI do the job. On top of being a PDF summary maker, it also allows users to ask 50 questions per day based on the output. And even if your text is in one language, you can ask questions in another.
- Free Plan (120 pages per PDF, 10 MB per PDF, 3 PDFs per day, 50 questions per day)
- Plus Plan: $5/month (2,000 pages per PDF, 32 MB per PDF, 50 PDFs per day, 1,000 questions per day)
- Summarizes PDFs
- Answers questions based on the summary in any language
- Only summarizes PDF formats
- Free plan has a limited number of pages and questions
- Doesn’t use GPT-4; only GPT-3.5
- Doesn’t summarize scanned PDFs and images
Summarizing Tool – Best Free Article Summarizer
Summarizing Tool is completely free and comes with no commitment. You don’t have to create an account, provide your credentials, or input credit card information.
You only need to have a text that requires summarizing. You can paste your text, upload a PDF or DOCX file, or paste a URL of a specific online page. Once the tool does its job, you can download the file to keep it forever.
- Summarizes texts of any length
- Summarizes texts in 16 languages
- Summarizes PDF and DOCX files, pasted text, or text from a pasted URL
- Doesn’t summarize images and scanned text
- Breaks down long texts into small bits to summarize
PDFgear Chatbot – Best Free PDF Summary Maker for Windows, MacOS, and iOS
PDFgear Chatbot is another free article summarizer that works for Windows, MacOS, and iOS. You don’t have to sign up to use the tool — just download it on your device, and you’re good to go.
It works on GPT-3.5 and allows users to summarize large pieces of text in PDF format. You can extract text from scanned images or convert it from Excel, HTML, XSL, etc., before summarizing it. PDFgear Chatbot also allows PDF editing, compressing, chatting, highlighting, annotating, and converting into various formats.
- Edits and reads summarized PDF texts
- Converts summarized PDF text into different formats
- Converts text from different formats into PDF before summarizing
- Organizes summarized PDF text
- Adds signatures to the summarized PDF text
- Works with only a few languages
Summarizer.org – Best Paper Summarizer That Retains the Original Meaning
Another free summarizing tool that doesn’t require you to commit to monthly or yearly fees is Summarizer.org. You can paste the text directly into the summarizer or import a file. Depending on your needs, you can adjust the summary length, show the entire summary, present it in bullet points, or extract the best line.
The tool supports six languages, so English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian, and Dutch speakers are welcome to use it. You can even download the summarized text to save it for later.
- Summarizes texts in 6 languages
- Features several summarizing modes
- Has no limit on how many words or pages you can summarize in a day
- Only excludes parts of the text it deems as unnecessary and uses the rest of the text
- Works with a limited number of languages
My Assignment Help – Best AI Summarizer for Texts From Various Sources
My Assignment Help is a versatile AI tool to summarize text from various sources. In addition to typical text sources like TXT, DOCX, and PDF, you can upload files from Google Drive, Dropbox, and more.
The tool offers a quick and effortless way of getting high-quality summaries. Even if you’re not sure where to start, you can just create an outline and let the program make a summary out of it. Depending on what you need, My Assignment Help can also craft summaries from different points of view. But the best part — there’s no word limit and it’s absolutely free.
- Has numerous other features aside from the summarizing tool
- Has various customization tools
- Supports multiple formats
- Works only online
Scholarcy – Best AI Summarizer for Students
Scholarcy makes extracting the essence of a research paper easier. With Scholarcy, you’ll have accurate summaries of any text you need in seconds. If the name doesn’t give it away, it’s the number one AI summarizer tool used by academics. You can use it online or as a Chrome or Edge extension.
It can extract images, tables, and figures from the PDF or Word file you provide. In addition, it turns your text into flashcards to make accessing the most important information of the paper easier. Scholarly even creates links to open-access versions of the sources cited in the text.
- Free (with Browser Extension and Flashcards)
- Individual Subscription: $9.99/month
- Academic Institution License: $8,000+/3-5 years (single fee for all members)
- Summarizes Word and PDF formats
- Creates flashcards
- Extracts images, figures, tables, etc.
- Creates links to cited sources
- Has no summary length customization
- Summarizes only once per day for free, unregistered users
ChatGPT – Best AI Summarizer That Uses External Sources of Information
ChatGPT is the most famous AI chatbot out there. Although its primary function isn’t to summarize texts (since it doesn’t allow file upload), some users still consider it a useful text summarizer.
Since ChatGPT “remembers” your previous prompts, you can have a natural-like conversation with the chatbot. That allows you to give it unique summarizing tasks and ask for summaries of different lengths, different parts of the text, and additional information from outside sources.
That means that with ChatGPT, you don’t only rely on what you provide; it gives you its input and checks whether you agree with it. Moreover, you can always tell the chatbot that you meant something else, and it’ll provide you with other options.
- Provides human-like summaries
- Uses the internet and external text sources
- Summarizes pasted text or text from a link
- Doesn’t allow the uploading of documents in any format
Read also: Notion AI vs ChatGPT vs HIX.AI
FAQs About the Best AI PDF Summarizers
1. What is the best PDF summarizer?
Although your final choice of the best AI PDF summarizer mainly depends on your requirements, the HIX.AI PDF Summarizer covers everything you might need in a PDF summary maker.
2. Is there a free AI PDF summarizer?
If you’re on a tight budget or aren’t looking to commit right away, there are plenty of free AI summarizers like Summarizing Tool, Summarizer.org, ChatGPT, and PDFgear Chatbot.
However, summarizers that have a free plan like HIX.AI might be more reliable in the long run. So, if you want to try it out before committing and purchasing a subscription, you can check out the free plan first.
3. How do I select a PDF summary maker?
As with other tools that make your daily tasks easier, there’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to AI PDF summarizers. You’ll choose the best AI summarizer by considering your requirements, the frequency of your summarizing needs, and your budget.
If you’re a student looking to create quick summaries for studying or revision, you can make do with one of the free tools above. If making summaries for presentations and business meetings is your daily obligation, purchasing a subscription from one of the top-rated AI summarizers is a better idea.