While Grammarly has undoubtedly revolutionized the approach to proofreading, grammar checking, and plagiarism detection, there is a need for a more personalized experience—a tool that understands your writing style and doesn't bombard you with overbearing suggestions.
Are you on a quest to find the perfect tool that enhances your writing prowess without overwhelming you with suggestions? If you've been using Grammarly and feel like it's time to explore new horizons, you've come to the right place!
We've compiled a comprehensive list of the 15 best Grammarly alternatives in 2023. Each tool below has its unique strengths, but they all share one common goal: to help you write better and cater to your specific needs and preferences.
So, let's dive in and choose the one that resonates with you the most!
- HIX.AI - Best for Seamless Cross-Platform Grammar Checking
- QuillBot - Best for Paraphrasing and Summarizing
- Wordtune - Best for Sentence Rewriting
- ProWritingAid - Best for Style Suggestions
- Linguix - Best for Saving Repeated Phrases
- Reverso - Best for Catching Errors instantly
- Hemingway App - Best for Simplifying Your Writing
- Readable - Best for Checking Readability
- Ginger - Best for Proofreading
- Writer.com - Best for Creating Writing Style Guides
- Paper Rater - Best for Fixing Academic Writing
- Sapling AI - Best for Fixing Errors in Multiple Languages
- Slick Write - Best Free Grammarly Alternative
- Language Tool - Best Open-source Grammarly Alternative
- Trinka - Best for Fixing Technical Writing
1. HIX.AI - Best for Seamless Cross-Platform Grammar Checking
HIX.AI is an all-in-one AI writing copilot, designed to supercharge your writing experience across various platforms. Built with advanced AI technology, it's designed to help you adjust your writing style and overcome writer's block quickly.
A stand-out feature is the free grammar checker, which automatically flags grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors like incorrect capitalization, inappropriate word choice, redundancies, and unclear phrasing. It makes your editing process 8x faster by suggesting corrections that you can apply in seconds.
Furthermore, the All-in-One Chrome Extension for the Web by HIX.AI ensures a seamless writing experience across different platforms and services. Using this Chrome extension, you can quickly receive instant grammar suggestions by simply typing "//", when writing on social media, Gmail, Google Docs, and more.
HIX.AI is divided into 4 apps, each with its own pricing plans:
- HIX AI Writer's pricing starts at $4.99 per month (billed annually), with a free plan that has a 300-word limit per week.
- HIX.AI Browser Extension's pricing starts at $4.99 per month (billed annually), with a free plan that has a 1,000-word limit per week.
- ArticleGPT's pricing starts at $4.99 per month (billed annually), with a free plan that has 1 article credit per month.
- HIX Bypass' pricing starts at $4.99 per month (billed annually), with a 300-word free trial.
- Wide range of writing tools for all types of writing tasks.
- Comprehensive tools for checking grammar and spelling for an error-free writing experience.
- More affordable than many other writing aids on the market.
- The All-in-One Chrome Extension works on search engines, social media, and Google Docs, making it versatile and convenient.
- Some features' user interface is under development, so the look might change.
2. QuillBot - Best for Paraphrasing and Summarizing
QuillBot boasts an efficient grammar checker that examines your writing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors in various English dialects, including US, UK, CA, and AU, enabling you to polish your work.
The QuillBot Grammar Checker also acts as a punctuation checker, eliminating the confusion around comma splices, semicolon usage, and other punctuation rules. This feature allows you to focus more on articulating your ideas.
QuillBot has a free version with limited features with monthly plans starting from $9.95.
- Offers a unique "paraphrasing" feature to transition sentences from passive to active voice.
- Uses AI-powered technology to correct grammar errors instantly.
- Performance is compromised due to slow servers and recurrent system crashes.
- Despite a premium subscription, the plagiarism checker is limited to scanning only 20 pages
3. Wordtune - Best for Sentence Rewriting
Wordtune is a revolutionary sentence rewriter developed to help individuals articulate their ideas more effectively. It optimizes sentences for clarity, length, and tone, thus proving essential for content marketers, students, and freelance writers.
Unlike traditional grammar checkers, Wordtune focuses on sentence rewriting, aiding in creating unique content. However, while Wordtune's AI is generally impressive, it can occasionally provide suggestions that may not be entirely accurate or relevant. It is essential to review the suggestions before incorporating them into the final text.
Wordtune offers a more affordable pricing structure compared to many competitors. The standard monthly plan is $9.99, while the yearly plan costs $119.88.
- Advanced sentence rewriting capabilities.
- Offers options to shorten or expand sentences.
- Supports tone adjustments (formal and casual).
- Occasionally produces unclear sentences.
- Lacks a plagiarism checker.
- Exclusively accessible through Chrome.
Read also: Wordtune vs ProWritingAid vs HIX.AI
4. ProWritingAid - Best for Style Suggestions
ProWritingAid is a comprehensive writing assistant offering more than grammar and spelling checks. This tool eliminates inconsistent terminology, rectifies poor writing style, and provides real-time suggestions on improving your text.
It integrates well with various writing programs like Word, Outlook, Chrome, and Google Docs and even offers a Desktop App. While it leverages AI, you should still apply your judgment, as some suggestions may not capture the nuances of the text.
ProWritingAid offers a limited free version that checks up to 500 words per trial. The Premium plans start at around $20/month.
- Comprehensive style, grammar, and spelling checks.
- Real-time suggestions for improvement.
- Provides insights on pacing, readability, sentence length, and more.
- Spelling and grammar checkers can occasionally introduce new errors.
- Limited free version (500-word check per trial).
- Lack of sentence paraphrasing feature.
Read also: ProWritingAid vs Writer.com vs HIX.AI
5. Linguix - Best for Saving Repeated Phrases
Linguix is quick at finding mistakes and fixing them. Like Grammarly, it offers a lot of valuable features. But it also has unique ones like the Content Quality Score and Advanced language insights. However, it has a few drawbacks. Linguix has trouble recognizing specific regional names, specifically Indian ones, which might be a problem for some users. Also, it doesn't work perfectly with websites using iframes. Despite these limitations, Linguix still shines as a reliable and efficient tool for polishing your writing.
Linguix has three subscription plans: Free, Pro, and Business. The Free plan provides a basic grammar check and content quality score, and the Premium plan is priced at $15/month or $60/year.
- Unique snippets feature to streamline and speed up repetitive communication.
- The Content Quality Score and advanced language insights are powerful tools for content creators.
- Compliance feature for client style preferences adds a layer of customization to your content.
- Certain extension features may activate on irrelevant pages, which some users might find confusing.
- It does not include a plagiarism checker or desktop application.
6. Reverso - Best for Catching Errors instantly
Reverso offers instant translations and accurate pronunciation of text across multiple platforms, including browsers and other apps. You can use flashcards and quizzes, tailored to your search history and favorites, to improve language skills. Additionally, it translates entire files such as Word, PowerPoint, and PDFs while preserving their formatting.
Reverso provides a free trial that includes translation for up to 2,500 words. Beyond the trial, users can subscribe to the premium version for 9.99 EUR per month.
- Accurate pronunciation for text and words
- Preserves file formatting during translations
- Unlimited text translation in the premium version
- UI is not intuitive and can be confusing for beginners
- It may not be as affordable for some users
7. Hemingway App - Best for Simplifying Your Writing
Hemingway Editor is a writing enhancement tool that scores the readability of your writing, aiming for clear and concise language. Unlike traditional grammar checkers, its primary focus is on sentence structure and readability. Hemingway aims to streamline your writing by highlighting complex sentences, overuse of adverbs, and difficult-to-read text, providing valuable feedback for writers to polish their work.
Hemingway Editor offers a free version accessible through your web browser. For a more advanced experience, you can purchase the desktop version with a one-time fee of around $20.
- Low-cost, one-time payment for the full version.
- Emphasizes clarity and conciseness in writing.
- Grades your writing readability, offering clear targets for improvement.
- Focuses on sentence structure and components of professional writing.
- Less emphasis on grammar and punctuation compared to other tools.
- Requires external tools for thorough grammar checking.
- May load slowly on some computers when using certain browsers.
8. Readable - Best for Checking Readability
Readable is a user-friendly web-based application designed to enhance the readability of your content. It assesses the readability of your text on a scale of 0 to 100, with higher scores indicating easier-to-comprehend content. It checks for spelling and grammar errors in real-time and supports different file formats like PDF, Doc, and text spreadsheets for document imports.
Readable offers three pricing tiers, starting at $4/month, billed annually.
- User-friendly and straightforward interface.
- Compatibility across all devices.
- Excellent customer service with prompt responses.
- Does not have excellent features such as spelling and plagiarism detection.
- Doesn't allow sharing files and collaborating with others.
9. Ginger - Best for Proofreading
Ginger streamlines your writing process with dynamic features, including grammar checker, punctuation, and spell checker tools that work seamlessly to rectify errors. A standout feature of Ginger is its "rephrase" option, which provides alternatives to sentences, and its synonym suggestion feature. Ginger also integrates with MS Office applications and has an online editor.
Ginger offers a free version with basic functionality and a limited number of phrase checks. For unlimited reviews and access to more advanced features, their premium version is priced at $3 per month, billed annually.
- Provides synonym suggestions for word replacement.
- Offers a translation feature for 40+ languages.
- Offers fewer grammar and punctuation improvement suggestions compared to Grammarly.
- Rephrased sentences may sometimes alter the original meaning.
- Lacks features such as a plagiarism checker and tone detection.
10. Writer.com - Best for Creating Writing Style Guides
Writer.com stands as a robust tool for inclusive communication and comprehensive product support. It learns from your company's style and data and ensures everything you write matches your brand.
Writer offers two plans: Team and Enterprise. The team plan, for 1-5 people, costs $18 per user/ month. The Enterprise plan has customized pricing.
- Helps your team write in the same style.
- Learn and use your company's style and specific words.
- Remember different writing style guides.
- Hard to use plagiarism checkers.
- Doesn't have a feature to set writing goals.
- May miss spelling errors, especially with words spelled differently in different countries.
Read also: Writer.com vs LanguageTool vs HIX.AI
11. Paper Rater - Best for Fixing Academic Writing
Paper Rater is an AI-powered proofreading tool designed to help students produce better essays, papers, and articles by providing feedback and suggestions. It includes a powerful plagiarism checker that compares your work against billions of pages on Google and Bing.
PaperRater's pricing is student-friendly, with a free tier. Premium features are available for $7.95 per month.
- Affordable pricing, making it accessible for students.
- Robust AI-based grammar checking and proofreading.
- Accuracy is lacking compared to other tools, potentially missing some errors.
- Only supports English language documents.
- Lacks broad availability on platforms like Google Docs, Outlook, or Gmail.
12. Sapling AI - Best for Fixing Errors in Multiple Languages
Sapling AI is a robust writing assistant that offers a wide range of features, including autocomplete, customer analytics, and chat macros. It offers grammar checking in multiple languages and integration with various platforms such as Google Docs, Gmail, and Slack. However, it may not compete with Grammarly in terms of accuracy and ease of use.
Sapling AI is free to use with basic suggestions. Its premium plan starts at $25/month.
- Designed for customer communication with handy features for customer-facing teams.
- Supports multiple languages for grammar checking.
- Includes unique features like customer analytics and custom reporting.
- May have a steeper learning curve for new users.
- Lack of readability and style-checking features.
13. Slick Write - Best Free Grammarly Alternative
Slick Write is a free proofreading tool catering to a wide range of users, from students and bloggers to SEO professionals and writers. Offering detailed stylistic analysis and suggestions, it strives to enhance the clarity and readability of your content. However, it is mainly self-guided; the tool identifies potential issues but does not offer direct solutions or automatic sentence rewrites.
Slick Write is entirely free, making it a cost-effective choice for users who require basic grammar and style-checking functionalities.
- Comprehensive stylistic analysis tools.
- Helps identify issues with sentence structure and word repetition.
- Does not redistribute users' documents.
- Lacks a plagiarism checker.
- Limited support for languages beyond English.
- No mobile app or desktop application.
14. Language Tool - Best Open-source Grammarly Alternative
Language Tool is an open-source grammar checker that functions across multiple platforms, helping correct style and grammar mistakes in your writing. It supports various word processors, browsers, and even provides plugins for text editors. It offers multilingual support and can spot grammar errors in over 20 languages.
LanguageTool offers four pricing options:
- A monthly plan at $9.95/month
- A quarterly plan at $19.50
- A yearly plan at $29.95
- A two-year plan at $49.50
- Corrects basic spelling and grammatical errors
- Offers multiple browser extensions and add-ons
- No plagiarism checker feature
- Not as comprehensive and accurate as some alternatives
- Character limit on the free version
Read also: LanguageTool vs Notion AI vs HIX.AI
15. Trinka - Best for Fixing Technical Writing
Trinka is a comprehensive writing assistant designed for academic and technical writing. The tool identifies and corrects common grammar and spelling errors and also offers style and clarity feedback in real-time.
Furthermore, Trinka AI features a robust plagiarism checker, auto-editing capabilities, and a personal dictionary feature - making it a perfect tool for professionals, and academic and technical writers aiming to produce high-quality, error-free content.
Trinka AI provides two pricing plans: the Free Plan, which includes checking up to 5,000 words and one plagiarism check per month, and the Premium Plan starting at $20/month offering unlimited monthly usage, additional plagiarism checks, and credits to purchase extra features.
- Helps in formatting documents for publication
- Offers citation and writing consistency checks
- Allows for document auto-editing and tracking changes
- The AI might occasionally make mistakes
- Might inadvertently influence the user's unique writing style
- Suggestions may not always fit the context
In essence, these 15 top-notch alternatives to Grammarly offer powerful tools that cater to diverse writing needs. The next step? Pick the one that best aligns with your writing requirements and begin your journey toward crafting engaging, error-free content today!